Thursday, November 18, 2010

Outgrowing the sitter...

After about two years of agonizing,  I have decided that my family no longer needs a regular babysitter. It seems like an unjustified extravagance, so I have decided to let her go after the holidays. Sounds easy, right? Just tell her our needs have changed and we no longer require her services. Give her a couple weeks notice and a few extra bucks and call it a day.

Real life complicates things. Emotions enter the picture.

Our sitter can't drive and doesn't really cook. Two facts which greatly affect her employability. The economy is in the toilet. The classified ads in the local paper have about ten ads for nannies seeking employment each week, and almost never an ad seeking to hire one. Did I mention our nanny moved here from a foreign country and sends money back to her mother who looks after the sitter's two children? Did I mention she's a really nice person, whom I've grown very close to over the last four years? It's hard not to feel responsible.

Am I responsible? How responsible should employers be for their hires? Do CEOs who fire hundreds of people at a time feel personally accountable?

I guess what I really want to know is: what is the most fair and ethical way to fire our sitter? How can I end the relationship and still have us all feeling relatively good about our time together?

2 comments:

  1. That's a difficult situation to be in but I think the way CEOs might handle it is to look at what their main mandate is. What is your main mandate? What is your first priority? If your first priority is to your family and it's financial resources and it sounds like it is, then sticking with your decision is necessary no matter what your emotional attachment to this wonderful caregiver. Give her a glowing recommendation and assist her on her way. If your first priority is to assist others in their financial circumstances, then keeping her working for you would be in keeping with that.
    Just my opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @smilesforeveryone, thanks for your thoughtful comment. You make a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete